US Airways has recently been acquired by American Airlines, but they are going to continue to run separate mileage programs for the immediate future. This is good news as US Airways has some awesome mileage promotions such as: buy 100,000 miles for $1500 or share 50,000 for $500 and give additional 50,000 for free for a total of 100,000 miles (plus taxes and fees). These come and go, but do not expect them to last under American Airlines once they combine programs.
For the next 7 days US Airways has a share promotion going on:
Basically you can get up to a 100% bonus on sharing miles. So if you give 50,000 miles to someone they will get an additional 50,000 miles. This means you are able to give a total of 100,000 miles for $500 (plus taxes and fees of around $67 USD total). Now this does require you to have at least 50,000 miles in your account to take advantage of the best transfer level, but if you and your friend / wife / husband each have enough miles and share with each other you will each be able to net 50,000 miles for only $500 (plus taxes and fees).
Is this a good deal?
YES! You are basically buying miles for 1.1 cents a piece. Very cheap considering that most airlines sell them for around 3-4 cents each. Also US Airways has one of the best mileage redemption charts around. They will very likely change over to American’s award chart after the integration is complete so take advantage of this while it lasts. Take a look at the chart below to see how good using miles on US Airways and their OneWorld partners can be.
– US & Canada to North Asia roundtrip for only 90,000 miles in business class! (North Asia includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, South Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan). These fares often run $5,000-8,000 so its a steal.
– US & Canada to Africa roundtrip for only 110,000 miles in business class! These are usually $8,000-10,000 so a really good deal for very long flights.
– US & Canada to South Pacific (Australia, New Zealand) roundtrip for only 130,000 miles in business class! These fares can easily run $6,000-10,000 so this is a very good deal. For what is usually a 20 hour plus journey with one or two stops OR a 14 hour direct flight from SFO/LAX this is a good deal. You don’t want to be stuck in economy for a 14 hour direct flight.
1. You must be a Dividend Miles member for at least 12 days, so sign up now if you are not and want to take advantage.
2. The 100% bonus goes to the person who receives the miles- not the one transferring them.
3. The maximum bonus per account is 50,000and receive is 100,000 (which includes the bonus miles).
4. For each Share there is a processing fee of $30 and a 7.5% tax recovery charge and GST/HST will be charged to Canadian residents.
5. Bonus amounts will be awarded upon completion of the transaction.